One of the first things I asked for when I arrived in Cracow on my recent trip to Poland (Eyelash extensions, another wedding and flying solo) was mulled wine:) I absolutely LOVE it!
My cousin Magda, as if she wasn’t busy enough with her wedding and all (A Polish-Spanish Wedding…Viva!), took us out for some beautiful hot wine in Old Town Cracow. Mmm, nothing better or cozier on a cool night! I’ve been missing it ever since I came back and have been experimenting with my own recipes.
This is an extremely quick and easy one you can enjoy on a comfy night by the fireplace, or during your winter entertaining!
- 500 ml of red wine
- 2 slices of a large orange
- lemon peel from a whole lemon
- 4 sticks of cinammon
- few pods of cardamom (5-10)
- 4 anise stars
- few cloves (5-10)
- 2 tbsps of honey
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan
- Heat over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, until wine is hot
- DOT NOT boil
- Reduce to low heat and allow wine to simmer for another 5 minutes
- Strain and serve
- Garnish as desired:)
That simple! And SO delicious!
A few things I learned:
- Do not use overly expensive red wine – spices and fruit will dominate the flavor of your drink
- You can spike your mulled wine with brandy, red martini, or your favorite liqueur
- You can add a variety of different spices, nuts and fruits. Grapefruit, lime, bay leaves, allspice berries, raisins, almonds, walnuts – possibilities are endless!
- Sweeten with honey, maple syrup or brown sugar – whatever suits your taste buds
Snuggle up with your loved one tonight and enjoy some FANTASTIC mulled wine! Or serve to your guests as a wonderful welcoming drink!