Looking for the ultimate lunch and snack containers? Safe, lightweight, stainless steel, leak-proof and dishwasher safe – the Mighty Hippo containers promise to have it all! Let’s take a peek!
The products are sold through Amazon and are only available for purchase online.
Mini Rectangular – CAD$25.99 for a package of two containers
Mini Round – CAD$25.99 for a package of two containers
Bento Box Container – CAD$27.00 for one container
Not overly cheap, but when looking at the promise of the product, it seemed worth it.
I purchased this Mighty Hippo Rectangle Stainless Steel Bento Lunch Container, with a removable divider for my son’s lunches. I wanted to avoid using plastic and glass. I liked the idea of a divider, so I could pack a few things in one container.
I also purchased the mini containers for ‘mini snacks’. They work well for school snacks – fit a few strawberries or cucumber and peppers. Perfect little snacks. I tried both the round and rectangular ones. The round containers hold just a bit more food.
DOES IT WORK?
- Durable – it lasted a few months of daily use and dishwashing
- Dishwasher safe – I used the top shelf of the dishwasher for both the containers and the lids – no issues
- Lightweight – yes, fantastically light!
- Leak-proof – I tried yogurt – no leaks. I tried dipping sauce – no leaks
- Made with ‘only the highest grade 18-8 stainless steel, polypropylene, and silicone which have been independently lab tested and certified to be free of BPA, lead and phthalates’
- Fantastic for kids – non-breakable
- The lids finally gave up after a few months of use. The locks on the mini containers broke off and the lid on the bento box lid cracked (likely from the trauma it was taking in my kid’s backpack)
- Had to remove the orange silicone on the lids and wash it by hand, as it was storing some ‘goo’ from being washed in the dishwasher
- The divider from the bento box comes out too easily and has been lost somewhere between home and school;)
Love the Mighty Hippo products but they are not without fault. Having said that, I would purchase these again and will definitely continue using them.
4.5 hearts out of 5